Saturday, October 3, 2009

scone city.



Whoops, better late than never! I was baking up a scone storm to bring to this morning's workcall (set construction all weekend mornings) and fell right asleep... ok, so maybe I was watching a few hours' worth of DVR recordings, but I was nodding off the whole time, I swear.

These blueberry scones are a success in (almost) gluten-free baking. The recipe for Raspberry Scones comes from Babycakes, which I adore if for no other reason than the cutesy-kitschy photographs. Instead of using two cups of whole spelt flour, though, I used the rest of my light spelt flour (about 3/4 cup) and Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour. Because of the spelt, they can't be considered gluten-free. They turned out much better (and much prettier) than the gluten-full Orange-Chocolate Chip Scones that I made for variety. More scone like, they seemed - tender, buttery, hint-of-sweetness sweet. I hate serving things I'm not one hundred percent happy with, but off they will go anyway. Too bad I didn't double the Babycakes recipe - but I'll definitely be coming back for more the next time a scone craving hits!

No comments: